lördag 2 oktober 2010

10 Pounds Lighter in 30 Days?

Getty Images


I'm going on vacation.
Actually, by the time you read this I'll already be in Florida heading to Walt Disney World.

But as far as healthy living goes, I've been on vacation for about a week now.
I'm going to use this blog for a little free therapy. I'll lie down here on this leather couch. You just sit there in your leather arm chair, cross your legs, and nod in agreement every now and then. Just don't yell at me and call me a "jack wagon" like that former drill sergeant on the Geico commercial.
For the past week or so, I've been in a bit of a rut. I'm not sure what causes it, but I've seen this rut before. This isn't my first rodeo. This is when I think to myself that I'm tired of eating healthy food. I'm tired of not eating what I want. Exercising is such a hassle. You know what? This is just what I'm going to look like. This is just going to be my size. Why fight it?

Ever been there? Yeah, thought so. But how do we get out of it?

I know what my head says: "You've got to build those good habits back. If you do things enough times sooner or later it becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it." I'm sure that's probably true, but it seems like such a long way to go -- a very long way.

"Find out what motivates you. Focus on that!" Ugh. Right now all I'm motivated to do is make it to my vacation.

Some of you may be saying, "Just stop it! Quit eating junk! You want motivation? How about not dying? Is that good enough motivation for you?"

Sound harsh? I've been told all those things. But in reality, unless you've faced death yourself or someone close to you, it's not really a motivator. It ought to be, but it's not. No one ever thinks that they're going to die. Don't you think every aspect of our lives would be dramatically different if we thought about our own mortality? If we were afraid of dying would we ever get in a car again? Leave the house? Watch reality television? Listen to country music?

I say I want to lose 100 pounds, that's a good goal, but it's not something I can achieve next week. So I've got to set a short term goal that I can reach within a couple of weeks, otherwise I'll lose my focus.

I think setting goals is the answer for me. And if I have to report back to you, maybe it'll keep me honest. Here's what I'm thinking:

Drink 64 ounces of water a day.
No more fried food.
No eating after 7:00 PM (I would say no late night snacking, but that's too subjective. 7:00 puts a firm number on it).
No sweets.
Exercise at least 30 minutes every day.
Lose 10 pounds by Halloween.

That's doable right? Is 10 pounds too much? Is "No sweets" too crazy? That one might be tough to do cold turkey. But I'll try. Setting easy goals doesn't do me any good. It's got to be a challenge.
But all bets are off on vacation though. I'm going to Disney World with their Dining Plan -- not an ideal time to start something like this. And if I'm being totally honest with you, I don't think is going to happen while I am away.
But I'll be back home next week and ready to go. And maybe by the next time a vacation rolls around, I'll be so deeply entrenched in those good healthy habits that I won't even have to think about what to do on vacation. In the meantime, comment on this and let me know some of your healthy short-term goals. Maybe you've got something I haven't thought of.
Thanks for the therapy session. See ya next week.

How To Lose 10 Pounds:
Dr. Oz's Weight Loss Challenge
Small Changes That Help You Lose
Curb Your Late-Night Cravings

After decades of dieting only to gain it back, two That's Fit readers have decided to finally rethink their relationship with food and exercise over the next year to move toward a lifetime of fulfilling, healthy living. Come by every week as Ashley and Lee share their successes and challenges as they tip the scale.




Permalink | Email this | Comments

ping pong outdoor calender outdoor network boat tarps boat protection

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar